Saturday 27 November 2010

This Could Have Been Black Shuck Country

A year ago today, outside the old call centre, smoking with Pam and Tom. Afternoon dragging down to evening. Trying to come up with a name for a blog I was thinking of starting. Looking for some coincidence, some piece of synchronicity to guide me.
I wanted something to do with Black Shuck, that English folklore legend. Black Shuck country? Hmm. Maybe. Alistair came up the hill where we stood. He had just finished his days work at American Express and was heading home. I asked him what he thought I should call my blog - without mentioning anything to do with Black Shuck.
Without missing a beat he replied 'Oh definetely something to do with Black Shuck'.
...which should have been the coincidence I was looking for.
Back in the office at work, I found that 'Black Shuck' had been used for someone else's URL. I quickly jettisoned the Black Shuck idea, and somehow settled on 'Tales from Bridge 39', referring to a notoriously haunted bridge on the Shropshire Union canal. Not my favourite haunting by any stretch of the imagination - a phantom, monstrous monkey is alleged to attack people. Well, at least back in the 1800s... though there have been reports of it being seen as recently as this -or last- decade.
Anyway. The name would do, I thought, and I can change it around later on.
Everybody left the office early. Or had I stayed late? I can't remember now. I wrote my first first tale from bridge 39.
By the time I had left the office, it was full dark outside.
I can't remember anything else about that evening.