Wednesday 24 November 2010

Typical Bedsit Evening

The evenings fly by. It seems I am eternally at the poiny of going to bed. This time now. Another day at work hanging over me, or, rather, I hang over it. Floating above the valley of cold mornings.
When I left work tonight - just over five hours ago now - there were numerous police about Churchill Square shopping centre. Many of the shops were closed. A helicopter in the sky. I could see no cause for the presence of all these police. Expecting some threat that never materialised. Only later when watching the 10'o'clock news that I heard about the fear of another student riot.
When I got back home... what did I do? I may have watched the news. I wanted to hear about the North / South Korea incident. Islands bombed, threats of war.
Reminded me of the book I'm reading at the moment, about the 1950s horror comics, of how the (then) war in Korea influenced such titles as Horrific, Weird Terror, Haunted Thrills...
I didn't hear Korea mentioned once.
I listened to some music for a while 69 Eyes and Spiritual Front, and read a couple of short stories from Best New Horror Volume Five, first published in 1994, which I found in London on Saturday for £3.00.
I watched the rest of the Doctor Who story The Stones of Blood, and then I watched some of the extras on the disc. One of the extras 'looking at the making of the programme' had a familiar face turning up. A journalist for some science fiction magazine I've never read. He used to go out with one of my housemates. Autumn 1996, my first term in Worcester. The house I lived in was so cold that one day when he had stayed the night we went down the pub at lunchtime just to escape from the icy inevitability of the afternoon... I remember his first article he had published in the magazine. His girlfriend showing me. Some newsagent in Birmingham? Worcester? Can't remember now.
The time between then and now is the age of an adolescent.
After I watched Doctor Who, I watched The Apprentice, and drew in my sketchbook, covering myself in ink.
And now the evening is done, I must set the alarm and go to sleep.