Thursday 24 November 2011

19 Minutes Ago (and Moving Fast)

Use Facebook to send a message to a friend, and am confronted with a message I sent back in 2008. Facebook is becoming an increasingly strange proposition these days. Like having access to memory - to more than memory - to a kind of time itself. Or rather, to no time. I suppose it does work kind of like memory. Move from the present to the past, just a click of a button.
I read the message with curiosity and trepidation.
I wrote the message from my parents house in Cornwall, 19th November 2008, so almost exactly three years ago. Curious that I wrote in the last post about the possibilities of being nostalgic for three years ago... and then being confronted with a message from that imagined time.
I wonder how long Facebook might continue as a kind of memory. I imagine at some point it will have to get rid of all the photos, all the messages, all the comments... Imagine if it didn't though, and those years would stretch into decades, then generations, then lifetimes, and centuries... Imagine scrolling back through your ancestor's messages of two hundred years before, trying to make real thoughts of a time before Facebook, a true dark age, a lost epoch when years might go by without seeing a photograph of yourself (I am sure there are only about ten photographs of myself between the age of 21 and my mid 30s...)
Look back at the messages again, see '19th November 2008' (the date sent of the first message) then below that '19 minutes ago' (when I sent the second message).
Already, that point is moving further back, and will soon be as far back as that first message, three years ago, and that first message will be six years ago... and I wonder if I'll remember to look at that message in three years time, just to, well... I suppose there wouldn't be much point really, except it might give a certain kind of time-chill.
Maybe.
I'll probably forget though.
Facebook won't.
Facebook remembers everything.