Friday 18 November 2011

Night Walk through Suburban Nowhere

Went for a long, meandering walk last night. I left the house at 9:00am and didn't return to nearly a quarter of midnight. Walking through new suburbs, and at night for the first time, these labyrinths of houses occupy a strange and surreal geography. I'm not even sure where it was I went, Hangleton perhaps?
There was little to distinguish it from other suburban housing, particularly after dark. I made it even to the edge of Brighton, where there was a windmill, in a different position to how I remember it. How many windmills does Brighton have on its edges anyway? I also came across a small Norman looking church and an adjoining graveyard, miniature and hidden amongst the street lamp shadows. A sign outside a field promised, underneath the dripping white-paint letters proclaiming PRIVATE KEEP OUT, that 'TRESPASSERS WILL BE PROSECUTED'. On the other side of this field I could see a road heading into the absolute darkness of the Sussex Downs. The road was not even lit by street lamps, just the headlights of vehicles that seemed swallowed up by the void. I managed to walk in a circle so ended up back at the 'PRIVATE KEEP OUT' field. There was something oddly lonely about this part of the walk. A strange, hollow feeling, webs of melancholy laid over the roofs of the bungalows, and as I walked by the security lights illumed the leaves scuttling across the tarmac. So late that even when I passed the petrol station I used to work at, on the Old Shoreham Road, was closed for the night. A silent architecture, lit still by some lights; the icy-blue white of the car wash, the basic lights left on inside; fridges and display cabinets. I could see the till I spent five years behind, that little room out the back where the kettle was and where I would illicitly smoke cigarettes.
Walked on down the Old Shoreham Road, passed by Wilbury Crescent before cutting down onto Cromwell Road and heading back here.
It felt I had lived a long time in Brighton last night, and there were too many things which were lost. The feeling disquieted me.