Friday 2 August 2013

Result of Work Stress

Heatwave, thunderstorms, deep summer. Welcome to August. A week and a half till I leave work, and each day becomes increasingly difficult to get through. I discovered today that the company I work for are going to charge me £150 for an exam I didn't take (I didn't take because work left me too exhausted to do anything). Hadn't even reached midday when I found this out. I was furious, so furious in fact that I was given the rest of the day off. Words cannot describe how I feel about that disgusting, disgusting company I work for.
The sun has made everything unreal and too bright. This is like those old crisis-Augusts of the past; 2009, and the court case against my flatmate's violent boyfriend, 2006, those long weeks of awful depression, 2003, a heatwave month and that flat I hated living in, 2001, being made suddenly out-of-work from the photo shop.
5:39pm, and here I am sat on my bed. It feels like no time.
A week and a half, then a week in America, and then the unknown autumn. I would like to feel optimistic about it all, but I don't - or can't - at the moment. Any relief I feel at leaving work is hot and complicated, and tempered with the disquiet of a future that feels out of my hands... but what choice did I have but hand in my notice and leave work? I hope I am not dealing with pyrrhic victories here... I suppose I am suffering (quite badly) with stress - still feels I should somehow pull myself together - every time I am not at work I am consumed with the dread of returning - I feel myself beginning to fall apart when I am at work, cracks becoming fissures, becoming earthquakes, and the rumours, the threats, of everything being consumed.
I think I'll sleep now, for a while. I remember the summer of 2001, I remember a similar heat and NATO planes being captured in China, and worrying about a third world war, and this was before 9/11, and I had a week in Malta a week after that happened.
Heatwave, thunderstorms, deep summer.
August is here.
Welcome to everything changing, one way or the other.