Sunday 11 August 2013

Vodka and Nostalgia

I drank vodka into the small hours, sat on my mattress, and the window open behind closed curtains. The time climbed up to 2:00am (the dark heights of the small hours) and I listened to music on my headphones (a lot of Kristin Hersh). Nostalgic and slightly drunk, I traced over past regrets - should I or shouldn't I have done this or not done that in the summer of 1989? Still puzzling over things a quarter of a century long. After I became bored of Kristin Hersh I played the song 'Stop Me' by thrash band Anacrusis.
I remember...
I used to have this album on vinyl - bought back in January or February of 1990. I used to listen to it in the dark of my room, moonlight falling onto my bed through the curtains, and wonder, or wander over the future. I was a few months away from being 18 and I hadn't particularly enjoyed adolescence. The lyrics were like somethign sharp and incisive; I remember the lost confusion of innocence with feelings worn so clean, wish I could look on this with different eyes, ignore the blinders reminding me... It was never my favourite album, and I rarely played it after those first few initial months after I had bought it.
Those words and that song stayed with me though, I would often find myself humming them over the next two decades, though didn't hear the song till I downloaded it a few weeks ago.
So I end up in the dark of my room,a 41 year old man listening to the same song I did when I was 17, except instead of pondering over the future as I did back then, I was pondering over the past.
There was something pleasingly circular about it all.
And I got up at 8:00an without a hangover.