Monday 5 December 2011

Deep December Morning

7:36am.
When I first got up this morning at 7:00am, it was pitch black outside. A week off work and it feels we're a season later. When I had had my shower though, the light was industrial-grey outside. the first time I've seen that winter shade of morning. From the platforms of tube stations I imagine commuters watching the London horizons for that pinkish strip of twilight that will be there until nightfall. Twilight never leaves a winters day. It was twenty years ago since I first thought that, when I used to catch the tube to college in Harrow everyday.
Sat on my bed now listening to the silence of the morning. There is a factory-like humming somewhere - possibly something next door. There is the occasional slamming and opening of a car door. Nothing else. Not this early anyway.
Twenty minutes now until I leave for work, back along New Church Road, back along Western Road, back to work, back to the call centre.
My week off, I'm sure, only lasted five minutes.