Wednesday 28 December 2011

To Mill from the Ruffmans for Mint


Back to work today, and a relatively quiet, if slow day (as first days back tend to be). Did the drawing above between calls. 'To mill from the ruffmans for mint' is a phrase I used in an art project at Southampton back in 1995 / 1996. It translates (as far as I recall as) 'To steal from the woods for money'. The words are old Victorian (I think) criminal slang. Had the phrase running through my head today - don't know why, so it found itself in the picture. The other piece of text 'we are engineers' is a lyric from a Voivod song from their 'Killing Technology' album. I think the song might have been 'Over-reaction'. I have no idea why both phrases ended up in the drawing, nor what the drawing is about. It usually works best that way.