Sunday 18 December 2011

Night Before Travelling Back

Checking train times for the return journey to Cornwall tomorrow. Back into that annual past, though I will be back before Christmas this year though to spend it with Em. Leaving at some ridiculously early hour tomorrow morning - to ensure I will not be late. 7:00am or thereabouts. It will still be dark, and I'll see Brighton Station plunged into that lightless sea before a winter dawn. The first time since I would have seen it in morning darkness since the petrol station days, as opposed to a night-darkness, which I see it in quite often. The qualities of the darkness are quite different. Morning-darkness is sharp and fresh and feels like ice-cubes and dog walks.
Failed to buy a new and exciting book to read on the train journey. Perhaps this is as well for books bought solely to read on train journeys never work and are never finished. I paid a pound for a book called 'Visits from the Drowned Girl' (by Steven Sherrill. The title sounds like something I might call one of my posts. Read a few pages. Seems okay so far. Good enough for a train journey. Probably will spend most of my time looking out of the window anyway.
I'll have an hour to kill in Reading - the last time this happened, back in May 2010, within five minutes of leaving the station I found a horror comic and needed a cigarette. I hope I'll repeat the former but not the latter. I'll have a coffee instead.
Train journeys - like many other things involving any kind of rules and regulations - always make me slightly nervous. What if I have the wrong tickets? What if I miss my connection? What if I can't find a seat? There is always some background fear that I might 'get into trouble' with some kind of authority for some as yet undefined crime or misdemeanor.
Well I suppose I should throw a few things in my bag (that is falling apart) and prepare for my 5:00am wake up call.
I might pass by the petrol station on my walk into town, pretend I'm working there again like the last five years haven't happened.