Tuesday 20 December 2011

Horror of the Opticians

The room in the opticians is dark. I'm resting on my head on some futuristic / medieval fusion device. A bright light is shone in my eyes. The optician says she is nearly finished. For some bizarre reason, all I can think of is whether or not Nazi doctors were so polite to their victims. This gets me thinking about Nazi optical experiments. My lips go dry and I begin to feel ill. I wish I hadn't started thinking of war atrocities.
I really dislike the opticians, well going to the opticians. The experience of being at the opticians. Not the opticians personally of course. I don't really like any medical procedure in fact. All medical authorities are there to be feared. Opticians used to be exempt from this category for some reason, but the mixture of eyes and machines, and those machines going close to the eyes... What was I thinking? They immediately had to be included in the 'medical procedures to be afraid of' list.
I think its also the possibility that, at the end of the eye test, the optician might say 'we need to send you for further tests. There are certain irregularities that need to be looked at' that is the greatest fear. Blindness. Some kind of eye-plague. Maybe they can see into the brain itself and view some malady lurking there. Brain fever. Brain plague. The would certainly require further tests.
As it turned out my eyes were fine, my left eye has changed slightly, my right hardly. The astigmatism is largely unchanged.
Should get my glasses in two weeks time.
Only two years until me next eye-test and I go through the whole thing again.