Friday 17 February 2012

Flu-like Symptoms

These were, and are, the symptoms and history of the short flu-like illness that I am now recovering from.
I attempted to go to sleep at around 11:00pm last night. I woke, what seemed to be hours later, convinced the alarm was about to go off and that I would have to get up for work. I could hear Andy moving about - he was obviously getting ready for work too. I looked at the time. It wasn't even midnight. Andy wasn't getting ready for work. He was probably still drinking the cup of tea he had made when I last saw him. It felt like hours and hours had passed, but it was only three quarters of an hour later. I went back to sleep.
I say 'sleep' but what followed had very little in common with sleep and a great deal to do with fever. My body was in a way that is indescribably and incredibly uncomfortable. I was freezing cold and tropically hot at the same time. There was a headache that seemed to affect my skull rather than the brain it encased. Each time I cough a wave of nauseous pain would rip through me. What most marked out the night though and almost always marks out a period of 'true' illness for me were the feverish visions. The visions started off as a repeated geometric shape that looked a little like a post against a grey sky. This was accompanied by a kind of impossible theorem centred around being in two places at the same time. I'm not even going to attempt to describe it. The kind of thing that can only ever make sense when your ill. There were other feverish images connected to this; pixels on the internet, a strange ritual connected to the internet (something called a 'minute'?). After a while these feverish images settled into some kind of narrative featuring characters from 'The Big Bang Theory' TV show. Leonard, one of said characters, was stressed about something he had to do. This Big Bang Theory delirium made my body feel incredibly uncomfortable. These feverish visions were not dreams - or did not feel like dreams - as I remember being awake - but more like extended involuntary daydreams.
Morning came.
As I lay in bed I was still unsure as to whether I would call in sick that day. This was decided when I had to go to the newsagents to get credit for my phone and I realised I was shivering again, and my body was wracked with a sense of freezing exhaustion, an almost cellular desolation. The man in the newsagents looked unreal. The newsagents looked unreal. I idly wondered if I was about to feint, as things started to get very blurry at the edges.
I called in sick and slept for the day. I feel much better now. Nearly anyway. I still have that exhausting headache, but I have stopped shivering now anyway.