Thursday 16 February 2012

Warming Outside, Cooling Inside

The cold has shifted.
The day was mild - warm in places - the slow shift of the light, the trickle of the air - the angles of the wooden gargoyles on the church next door to the call-centre seemed sharp and optimistic. As I walked home tonight, the violet layers of twilight reminded me of spring nights by the sea rather than under siege in rooms surrounded by freezing darkness.
It crept over the day though - a slight cough, a growing feeling of discomfort. I have been home for a few hours now (It's 8:40pm as I write) and I am freezing. It is not the cold that comes from outside but an interior cold. The kind of freezing that prefaces a period of suffering a common cold, or, hopefully not, the flu. I have only had the flu once properly - seven years ago - at the end of February 2005. It started like this too, with a strange plunging in body temperature and a sense of odd foreboding.
Time for another cup of tea.
Maybe that will warm me.