Tuesday 28 February 2012

The Living Room is Abandoned

No-one goes in the living room much any more.
When we first moved in here I would often be there of an evening, watching TV and DVDs mostly. As autumn turned to winter, I found my evenings spent more and more out here in my room, or chatting to Andy in the kitchen. I'm not sure what it is about the living room that makes it the avoided room in the house. Perhaps it is the sofa, that small cramped and broken thing I found in the fog on a March night a couple of years ago. It's not very comfortable - but comfortable enough - I fell asleep on it back in January watching Blakes Seven DVDs. There is no sofa in my room though (I sit on the bed) and Andy and myself hang out mainly in the kitchen if we are chatting, and the chairs in there are hard and wooden.
I don't trust the table in the living room, a large circular thing made of some dark wood. It is very well made and belonged to an old lady that Andy did some gardening for. Why do I not trust it? I don't know. The wood seems too dark somehow. When I look at the table it disquiets me, reminds me of the abandoned dining rooms of adolescence - only to be used on special occasions. Such places have an air that is like that found in attics, but in attics there is a comforting aura of age and old things, and these abandoned rooms are somehow the opposite, new and discomforting. They feel like waiting rooms, or showrooms. The waiting room of our living room has an odd air of desolation about it, as if no-one is meant to be there. Em says it is because it is not homely enough. Perhaps she has a point. We certainly need more furniture in there. Perhaps because it is at the front of the flat, looking down onto the Mews, it doesn't feel quite private enough. Andy doesn't use the living room much either. Has a snooze there, apparently, hen he comes home from work when doing an early shift. Most of the time we're in our rooms or the kitchen. I can't remember the last time we were both in there, aside to hang up washing on the hanger to dry in the sun.
Our own haunted space, but there are no ghosts here, just an inexplicable air of edginess.
Puzzling, but a puzzle that oddly pleases me.