Saturday 26 January 2013

Atari Force and a Death Metal Twilight

After a late night last night, going to bed at 3:00am, and no, nothing remotely spooky when I turned the light out and went to bed - which makes the earlier presence-on-the -edge-of-sleep even stranger, even if it is all just imagination. When I got up, I had porridge and tidied my room, and after I had finished, sat on my bed and read the last of the Secret Wars graphic novel. Well, part one of anyway. The graphic novel is a collection of the mini-series that came out way back thirty years ago. It got me thinking about other comics I had then. I remember an issue I had of one comic called Atari Force - a science fiction / brand tie in, that I was obscurely fond of, though couldn't remember much about it.
Met Em at 3:00pm, and went for a coffee down George Street.
A bright day, though cold, one of those other January days you get away from the wet snow and cold rain. We called in at the 'Oxfam Down Blatchington Road' (as it must always be referred to, never just 'Oxfam'. Oxfam had a box of old comics in, well, comics from the early eighties, including the very issue of Atari Force (no. 4) I had been thinking about only an hour before.
The coincidence pleased me.
We went for a coffee at Costa Coffee down George Street. This did not please me so much. The whole place had convened for itself all the ingredients of a caffeine hell; noisy machines, claustrophobic interior and floods of squealing, screaming squalling infants. I've never really got the hang of children, let alone children that seemed to embody all the attributes of a panic attack and the exciteability of a school playground on the last break before a summer holiday.
Back here in the peace and quiet of home, in a gentle twilight listening to the calming sounds of various brutal death metal bands.