Sunday 27 January 2013

Problems with Shadows

Another dream of Woodstock Drive last night. I can 't remember much about it though. I know that I had returned there and was allowed access to the house. No-one else was living there.
It goes without saying that the house, in the dream, was haunted.
Woodstock Drive, or the house we lived in on that road, was haunted in real life too, whatever that means... even if it was only an over active imagination, though lots of people seemed to have an overactive imagination in that house.
The thing that stays with me most about that house was the quality of it's shadows. There was something thick and deep about them. They would gather and swell in corners, cold and grey things that would stretch out across the landings and the hallway, the dining room and bedroom cupboard. There was a permanent conspiracy of them next to the cupboard under the stairs where the telephone table was.
The shadows - at least in memory - seemed to grow deeper over the years. A thickening of wet gray night as adolescence darkened into adulthood until I left the house when I was 21. Those shadows seemed at their strongest on gloomy afternoons, drifty-dreamy things that would taste, if shadows could have taste of anything, of lost streets in suburbia, drizzly days off school, disquieted by mild illness, and watching vague fractions of sunset over the roofs of silent houses.
Since I left there - 20 years ago this March - the shadows have only ever deepened, only now they do so in these recurring dreams I have of returning there.
I remember passing by the house a couple of years ago - November 2011 - and I noticed that Woodstock Drive was a dark road. It was night when I returned - well, just after nightfall, and after a trip into London record and comic shopping, I caught the metropolitan underground line back to Ickenham. The actual night itself seemed deeper, a darkness that could almost be felt. I thought that perhaps this was due to the street lights being spaced too far apart. When I got to our old house, I noticed all the curtains were open and all the lights were on - in every room - as if whoever was living there was having their own problems with shadows.