Monday 1 April 2013

Dream-Town

My room was so incredibly cold last night that it took hours to fall asleep. I was late to bed anyway (2:00am) because I was trying to rescue my i-tunes library from the recycle bin. I have no idea how it got there. I slept fully clothed - with a fleece on as well as a t-shirt -and beneath two quilts- and I was still cold. 'Cold' doesn't really begin to describe it though. It felt like the air (like the outside was under the covers with me!) was coming down with the flu, as if the air I was breathing had become infected. I lay there for what seemed hours shivering, wondering if I should put on a jacket as well as my numerous layers.
I had a dream shortly before waking. One of those 'multiple viewpoint' dreams - in that the narrative of the dream (not that anything happened much) was seen as illustrations in a comic strip, old photographs, and through myself, in a room, looking back through these photographs, wondering at other panels in these comic strip. I was looking through old photographs of myself stood in various snowy streets. They showed me with short hair, so had been taken some time before. I was also wearing my old long goth-jacket I used to wear. I was wondering whether or not to use one as my Facebook profile, but felt it was cheating as my hair had changed so much. These photographs were also seen as comic strip illustrations. I think these were comic strips I had drawn but am not sure. One picture showed me from behind, stood at the the head of a set of outside stairs, that led down between two buildings. From where this drawn-self stood, I could see the town - or city - spread out beneath me. It was a snowy day - the sky (no ink there) was white - full of snow and cold. I had lived in this town once, though bears no resemblance to any town I have lived in in life. The town was full of old-fashioned factories and a strange nostalgia. I wondered about other panels in this comic strip - if I was to draw more, what would come before or afterwards? I thought that, if I drew myself as a stickman, then I might be more inspired to continue, or finish, this comic strip. I think, during the dream, that I did realize why I never finished a comic strip - I have forgotten it no though. A shame. It might have been useful. The oddest thing about the dream was the fact that these images - particularly the comic strip image of myself stood at the head of the steps - had a soundtrack. The soundtrack - playing throughout the dream, much in the way of a film score, was the song 'Alaska' by Sad Lovers and Giants. I don't know why, as I've not listened to it for many months. I've got it running round my head now, as if it's still playing; it's snowing on the fields of my childhood home...