Friday 13 July 2012

1037 / 510

1037.
Slow-reach, a honey drip down from eyes nervous with bad sleep. Grey lands sink about me; flat hills, still rivers, and earth that tastes of old, and best forgotten days, of afternoons in endless rain, churchyard-grey skies, and the future stretching beyond muted horizons.

1127.
What will I find there? What in the angles of that city will be waiting for me? The ghosts of cigarettes bought from newsagents that look like sheds, the shadows cast by imagined trees, narrow rooms I once slept in, the bridge across the river.

1216
Objects do not think and turn and haunt. Their geographies are peaceful as old rakes left in tangled gardens on autumn days.

143
As I was walking to work this morning a cyclist on the road next to me lost his grip. A sudden shock of movement and he crashed to the tarmac. I remember the wetness of the road (it had rained last night again), the damp look of the light. I didn’t know whether to help him or not. He picked himself up. The woman walking in front of me looked round - a brief glance. We both continued walking. The cyclist mounted his bike and sped past us.

420.
In the BBC Radio Sussex shop at lunchtime. I eventually buy the Doctor Who dvd boxset ‘The Trial of a Timelord’, after flicking through the many Doctor Who titles they stock. Someone is being interviewed in the studio. Some novelist talking about a book inspired by his mother-in-law, something about Victorians, something about… -no I can’t remember the rest. It didn't sound interesting anyway. I thought they were sitting on the chairs in the other half of the shop. I thought that the actual studio was there - I am sure that I have seen bands perform live here for radio shows before. I look up and discover a set of speakers instead. This is not a studio, and there is no-one there, novelist or otherwise being interviewed.

509.
I have to buy a bottle of port on the way home tonight. I finished the rest of Andy’s bottle last night.

510.
I have nine days off work now.
Summers make me feel lost.
I never really get the hang of them.