Thursday 5 July 2012

All Those 3am Possibilities

Sleeping alone in a house always concerns me. As I lie there in bed I am too aware of all those rooms I can't see, all that silence, all those angles, all those 3am possibilities.
My dreams last night did not ease my uneasiness. Fitful things. Fragments. Our old childhood dog Bruno curled up on the sofa. Realising he had been dead for nearly quarter of a century. Waking in my bed. Thinking feverishly - the haunting has begun- then waking again, because I was still dreaming the first time I awoke. Another dream, standing at the top of the stairs looking down. Knocks on the door. A figure materialising through the frosted glass. Some kind of intruder.
Wake from this dream too. Truly wake and too aware of all those rooms around me I can't see.