Monday 23 July 2012

Breach

Summer built up behind floodgates that obscured everything; planks of rain, steel sheets of endless gray skies, all nailed together with a dismal suspicion that there would be no summer this year. Then the barriers were breached, and with a vast rage of power, worthy of a natural disaster, all thoughts - memories even - of that desolation were swept away.

As I walked along the summer road, I passed the same edgy man I passed last week. He rolled his arms in the same aggressive manner he had seven days previously, even his movements made me nervous. I passed him at the same point, except that last week we were both heading in the opposite directions we were to the week previous.
Perhaps he's my dark mirror image, escaped from looking glass and shadow... or maybe he just felt like walking a different way to the one he does normally. It was a beautiful night for a walk after all. Maybe it was someone who looks exactly the same as the man I saw last week. I saw him outside that strange seafront building that unnerved me so much last week. I wonder if he lives there. Probably just a passer by, but in these recent unnerving twilights such things seem sinisterly and pleasingly probable.