Monday 7 October 2013

Bad Latin and Winning the Pub Quiz

My team won the Geekest Link last night. I was actually helpful for once. These are the questions I helped with:
In what TV programme would you find the Cybernauts? (The Avengers)
How many K9s have there been? (4)
In the picture-round successfully identified David Bowie in The Man Who Fell to Earth
Who carried Dr Theopolis? (I identified the programme as Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, which prompted Colin to give the answer 'Twiki).
My share of the winnings was £5:00. I was very pleased.

The toilet in the Caroline of Brunswick is full of goth / metal graffiti, of a rather adolescent flavour. Somebody had written in latin (they had provided a helpful translation underneath) 'let the banners of Hades ride forth'. This was written in felt pen in a 'scary' medieval font. Someone heard me complaining about the 'bad latin' and informed me that it wasn't bad Latin, but the writer had 'got the verbs the wrong way round'.
For some reason I didn't believe that he knew anything about Latin either.