Wednesday 9 October 2013

The Lost Book

Sometime in the past - I think it was early 2007 - I bought a book I never got around to reading. I couldn't even tell you what it was about (I had read a little and the back cover blurb) but seemed to be some kind of dream-like narrative, something about steps and a secret street. In my mind, I associate the book with those first few warm days of spring, where things open up after long grey winters.
I'm not sure what happened to the book - lost in a move, or perhaps given to a charity shop. I barely remembered the book. Lately I begun thinking about the book again. Because I could remember so little of it, the book began to achieve a mythic resonance in my mind. Was this a lost classic? I began to suspect that - as I had so little information on the book - that I had dreamt it up, and was never real book at all. I didn't know the author, the title. All I remembered was it had a kind of grey cover.
I came across the book in Waterstones yesterday on there sales shelf - the book exists and is called 'Days Between Stations' and is by Steve Erickson, published in 1985 first.
I wonder whether I'll get around to reading it this time.