Saturday 26 October 2013

Lonely Saturday Morning

With Em away for the weekend, and everyone else busy today, the prospect of a lonely Saturday rises up. A slight panic pops its head up somewhere; how did my regular social group get whittled down to so few people? Like most people, I have more acquaintances than friends. It seems that as I get older I have more and more acquaintances and fewer friends. What happens if Em moves away? People move on and get on with their lives. Life eats them up, leaves others oddly stranded. I wonder if this is how a lonely old age starts?
Growing older - even into middle age - is sometimes frightening.
Sat in my room, waiting for the storm that's said to come. I can hear some distant rumbling like the sea. The air feels damp and dark yellow. There is something subterranean about this day.
My last weekend before I start a new job on Wednesday; on the phones as a charity fundraiser, so it's goodbye to this unemployment period - for a bit anyway. I don't know how successful I'm going to be.
What shall I do now? Sleep for a bit? Watch television? Go for a walk into town? I've never really fancied town on a Saturday, and I'm not even in the middle of a drawing I can take to a coffee shop... I'll probably flick restlessly through the internet, flick through old comics and new books, flick these minutes away... wait for the melancholy to come, as it inevitably will.
It's only 11:18am as well.