Sunday 29 September 2013

For the Love of Old Hospitals

I long for an abandoned hospital to explore.
I'm not sure I'd have the courage to do any kind of urban exploration though - I'm far too easily freaked out. I pore through other peoples photographs though - plaster strewn stares, abandoned chairs, old beds are particularly creepy...
Imagine sleeping in such a place!
A bed up on a ward on the third or fourth floor, listening to the night-sounds of the hospital; a door banging in a breeze, pipes clanging, floorboards settling at night...
It wouldn't be ghost stories that would unnerve me (at least not in an unpleasant way) but less welcome visitors; security guards, tramps, psychos... With that kind of fear, I'd never be able to enjoy it.
Endless corridors, rooms full of rusting equipment whose purpose is long lost, always locked rooms somewhere, attics, attics in hospitals...
I long for these places, to stay until twilight, make my way out when the street lamps come on in a cooling autumn day outside.