Saturday 28 September 2013

Saturday Silence

I watch an old DVD of the television series 'The IT Crowd' last night. This lifts my spirits a little. I sleep deeply, and remember very little in the way of dreams (a subterranean chamber, wondering whether or not to watch a Dr Who DVD on the huge flat screen). I hear Andy leave for work as I lay in bed - it  must be later than I think - but I get up and discover that it is only 11:00am.
Saturday silence.
Em is away for the weekend. I have not spoken to anyone but her since Wednesday afternoon when I saw Andy briefly - well, not counting people in shops (ordering endless instant coffees to takeaway). It was strange last night, being outside from midday until it was dark, There is something portentous and beautiful about watching the night fall outside. I was down by the beach so this was unleavened by street light. Just watched the sea darken, the sky turn red, and finally the lamps on the promenade came on behind me.
It shall soon turn colder, and I will no longer be able to do that.
October next week.
(and October is a moon in a blue-dark sky above a wild fluster of branches).
I can hear nothing - not even the coffee shop across the passage.
There may well have been a disaster that has wiped out the world.
Or it might just be a quiet Saturday.