Sunday 29 September 2013

Night Falls Quickly

My shoelaces look like snakes. The poisonous patterns of caterpillars.
I'm up in Lewes by the river. I remember being here in summer. I'm with Al and Claire again. It's claggy and humid and cooler. The long grass looks like it might hide twilight dog shit. Muddy field edge. Watch the cows across the other side of the water. There are people blackberry picking. I want to tell them they might disappear but I do not.
On the train to Lewes we are doing impressions of someone we used to know. The train pulls into Moulscoomb station. The man we are doing impressions of is at the station getting on with his girlfriend. We see him at Lewes. He is going for a walk in the country too. He tells us of another friend we all fell out with years ago is getting married next week in Devon.
There is no sun in Lewes.
We get back to Brighton and go for a drink at the Evening Star.
When we leave I take a slow walk back along the promenade. Watch the still sea, and by the time I get back here it is full dark.
I am surprised by how quickly night falls.