Tuesday 27 November 2012

A Shared Birthday 90 Years Apart

Tales from Bridge 39 is three years old today. I'm not sure whether that feels like a long time or a short time. I've been keeping it for longer than I lived at Worcester, longer than most houses I've lived in, most jobs. I thought at one time it was certain that I would only stop Bridge 39 when I died, or that I would consciously end it, write finish I'm done (or perhaps something more portentous in Latin) at the end of the last post but now I'm not too sure, It nearly finished last year, and for no other reason except that it just almost faded away...
My grandfather had a mug that was written on it Old teachers never die, they just fade away. Or something similar. Doesn't make much sense when I think about it. He was a latin teacher and a headmaster at some school somewhere in the Midlands. He was born on this day in 1919, according to Facebook. 93 years ago (he died 30 years ago when I was 10). I never realized till today that him and this blog shared a birthday, 90 years apart.
He would have known a good latin phrase if I ever decided to finish Tales from Bridge 39.